Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
File
Collection
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Brought to you by The Developing Librarian team at Columbia University

Fire Engine Company No. 47

Dublin Core

Title

Fire Engine Company No. 47

Subject

Fire Engine Company No. 47 (New York, N.Y.)
Fire stations -- New York (state) -- New York
Fire fighters -- New York (state) -- New York

Description

A collection of images and text related to Engine Company No. 47, which was organized in 1882 and moved to its Morningside Heights firehouse on 113th Street on April 1, 1891.

Creator

Sarah Witte

Source

Many of the photographs and documents are drawn from the Geroge F. Mand Library.

Date

1882-1920

Coverage

1880s, 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920

Items in the Fire Engine Company No. 47 Collection

Engine No. 47 pulled by three horses. Captain John Gaw stands on the rear step. The driver is Christopher Maguire.

Photograph of the horse-drawn hose wagon at Engine Company No. 47 quarters, on August 25, 1920, the day the fire horses were retired.

Photograph of an American LaFrance 2nd Size (Metropolitan) Steamer leaving Engine Company No. 47 quarters on August 25, 1920, the day the fire-horses were retired.

Photograph of the company's new American LaFrance 700 GPM engine taken on August 25, 1920, the day the company was motorized.

A photograph of Engine Company No. 47's Ward LaFrance 750 GPM Booster