Leake and Watts Orphan House was the predecessor of today's Leake and Watts Services. Founded in 1831, it was briefly located in lower Manhattan on the grounds of Trinity Church. Seeking a location in the "suburbs of the city," the institution moved into its new home on 112th street at Amsterdam Avenue in 1842 (on the very spot where the cathedral now stands). As was the case with the larger property of the Bloomingdale Asylum west and north, pressure from rising real estate values and development in the 1880s forced the orphanage to look for a newer home in a setting similar to that which it had sought in the 1830s. Following the sale of the property to the Episcopal Church for the construction of the cathedral, the institution moved to Yonkers in 1891, where it continues to function today (albeit no longer as an orphanage). Leake and Watts left behind several structures, one of which (the main building) partially stands today (see photo). It is the oldest surviving structure in Morningside Heights. The orphange's presence here until the end of the nineteenth century insured that much of the south-east corner of Morningside Heights would remain open.