Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Brought to you by The Developing Librarian team at Columbia University

Browse Items (217 total)

Article reporting the impending sale of the the Leake and Watts Orphan Asylum to the Episcopal Church for the construction of a cathedral.

An invitation to all former residents of the Leake and Watts Orphan Asylum to attend the third annual reunion at the orphan house.

Article on the 11th Annual Report of the Society for Relief of Half Orphan and Destitute Children.

"Cathedral Heights" was one of a number of early names used for the neighborhood now known as Morningside Heights. The view on this panoramic postcard is from ca. 1898 to 1904.

The Cathedral of St. John the Divine under construction, showing the eastern great arch and the Chapel of St. Saviour.

An aerial view of Morningside Heights, ca. 1930s.

An article regarding plans to circulate library books to fire stations. "Libraries for Firemen" New York Tribune (July 27, 1898): 5.

In this early photograph (ca. 1925), one can still observe the semi-dome of the apse as originally designed by Heins and La Farge. This semi-dome was later redesigned to harmonize more plainly with the increasingly Gothic style of the cathedral.

A view of the unfinished cathedral, looking up and west from Morningside Park.

One of the two chapels in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine that were designed and built by Heins and La Farge. The other was the Chapel of St. Saviour.

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2